Monday, April 6, 2009

The honeymoon is officially over. Eleanor has her first pin infection, which is a very common complication. It is so common that they send you home from the hospital with a prescription for antibiotics with refills. I noticed that the pin sites on her shin were getting slightly red during pin care yesterday and Eleanor complained of pain in that same spot, though the pain understandably could have been caused by Margaret jumping on her leg. She had a low grade temp and was not herself this afternoon, but seemed better after a long nap.

Eleanor had her physical therapy evaluation this morning. She did well, though already she is fighting bending her knee which is what she did with her last surgery. The physical therapist was able to bend her to 65 degrees with tears (the first through this process) and is hoping to have her to 70 by the end of the week. He said that as legthening progresses there will be less flexion due to muscles stretching and that 45 degrees is the red zone where we would slow or stop legthening. We have been really encouraging Eleanor to bend that knee!

Margaret has become quiet the menace. She and another little girl her age hang and climb anything they can reach. I am pretty sure we are beginning to see the terrible twos. She has taken to escaping our room any chance she gets after she discovered that she can reach the door handle. She gets the door open and takes off with abandon. Tonight she managed to sneak her little naked self out after her bath and was already to the kitchen by the time I caught up with her. She thought this was hilarious and gave me her best troaty, fake laugh. She also has taken to only eating cheese and sweets...a true Wisconsin girl!

Tomorrow will be Eleanor's first land and pool therapy. We were able to see the pool today and Eleanor is pretty excited. It is an above ground, glass pool so that the therapists can see what the kids are doing. Eleanor loves that there is a mechanical chair lift to get in. She aslo enjoys the lift on the shuttle bus to and from therapy. We will update about therapy tomorrow. Good night to all!

9 comments:

  1. Praying that Eleanor's infection heals quickly. The pool sounds really cool. Cheering you on from Minnesota! -Sarah Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor! My name is Sarah and I work with your mommy. I was just getting caught up on your journey. I hope your infection is getting better and the medicine works quickly. I was reading that you will be starting therapy in the pool. That sounds like a lot of fun to be in the water. I love to go swimming! Be sure to keep bending your knee so your leg can get nice and strong. I hope you continue to work really hard and always keep smiling. I hear you have an wonderful smile. I am praying that every day you are doing better and getting stronger. :)
    Alison- You are and amazing mother and I it takes a lot of love, strength, and faith to be as strong as you are during this time. We miss you at work and I pray this time goes by fast for you. Continue to keep your spirits high and encourage that little girl to work hard! My thoughts and prayers continue for your family.
    ~Sarah Staszak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eleanor--We have been praying for you and had been waiting for more information on your Caring Bridges site and only found out about your new blog yesterday when we called your Grandma Hart to inquire about you. We're happy you are making progress. I'm sure you will (or already have) taken to the pool therapy with great zeal. Keep working on getting better.

    Love, Tom and Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work (and play), Eleanor! We're so glad your surgery went well, and that your P.T. is going as well as it could be. I know your mom is taking great care of you. Great blog, Alison! Thanks so much for keeping us all informed of Eleanor's progress. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your whole family.
    Love & hugs ~ John & Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Ed and I send our love and good wishes. We have been praying for you and your family. We are so happy that your surgery went well. You are a lucky girl to have your Mom, sister and Grandma there to help you make such good progress in your recovery. We send you 2 big bear hugs. Uncle Ed and Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eleanor!!!!
    My name is Debi (they call me "Litte Debi" because I am so short :). Many children measure themselves next to me and feel more grown up or really tall :).
    I am very proud of you and your mommy and whole family! It must take alot of courage to travel so far and go through all the procedures, surgery, therapy and stress. How amazing that they have this wonderful procedure to help your leg grow longer and stronger!
    I had an operation on my leg a little over a year ago, so I kind of know some of the things you are challenged with. Bending my knee was the hardest and most painful. Try to do your best and your leg and knee will get better, just do a little tiny bit more of a bend each time. I used a small soccer ball to help too, I put it under my foot and rolled it around and around and back and forth. I also sat on a birthing ball, (your mommy knows about them)and moved the ball back and forth to help bend my knee.
    I hope you are having a fun Easter!
    Allison we miss you at work! Hope the time goes fast.
    I will pray for you all everyday!
    Take care!
    Love and puppy kisses!!
    Little Debi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eleanor, Margaret and Mom,

    We miss you and are just catching up on your journal. Springtime has been pretty fun so far on Scott St. Maisy the puppy is as big as a horse...she got pretty sick the other day when she discovered a pumpkin leftover from Halloween under the snow. Eww!!

    We wrote you a letter today and will send it out tomorrow. Kai drew a picture of him and Eleanor playing. He has new sidewalk chalk and a bubble wand...he can't wait to share them with you when you come home.

    We love you very much and have no doubt your infection will be better soon, Eleanor. We think you're amazing and know you're a fighter. Tell Margaret to keep her clothes on and stay in one place! :-)

    See you soon,
    Shannon
    Michelle
    kai

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eleanor and Allison,
    Thanks for keeping us updated. It seems like quite the journey. I hope that infection soon will be under control. And keep that knee bending - that will be so important. Even when it hurts. But I'm sure the pool therapy will be fun and helpful. Eleanor, tell your sister to take it easy and wait with her terrible two's until she's back in Wausau. Allison, hang in there. It seems like you are quite the tough cookie. The apple doesn't fall far away from the tree.

    Adrienne, Barry, Ben, Max, Kiki and Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss you soooooooooooooooooo much good luck

    ReplyDelete